Founder and Managing Member
Tom has practiced law for over 30 years, including at a prominent Boston law firm, as co-lead M&A counsel for a $40 Billion revenue multi-national company, and as the founder of two law firms.
Tom’s practice includes (1) helping entrepreneurs and early-stage organizations to establish and build their businesses, (2) negotiating and drafting a wide range of complex commercial agreements, and (3) serving as lead counsel for buyers and sellers through all stages of mergers, acquisitions, and sales of businesses.
Tom has represented numerous public and private companies as lead M&A counsel on important deals, including:
- ADT Security (a +$4.5 Billion revenue portfolio company of Apollo Global) in multiple add-on acquisitions as well as the platform deal establishing its cyber-security division
- Airxcel (a portfolio company of L Catterton) in acquisition of Aqua-Hot, a leading provider of hydronic heating systems to the RV Industry
- Alegeus (portfolio company of Lightyear Capital) in sale of subsidiary to Maestro Healthcare Technology
- Au Bon Pain (portfolio company of JAB Holdings) in its sale to Ampex Brands
- Circor International (NYSE-listed flow control products business) in sale of its Sagebrush subsidiary to management
- Compendia (innovative provider of homeowner web portals and manuals) in sale to portfolio company of CIP Capital
- D2 Emerge (acquisition company) in acquisition of Software Development Times from BZ Media
- DSM Metal Fabrication (acquisition company) in acquisition of customized sheet metal fabrication services business
- Energy Initiatives Group (high-end energy services consulting firm) in sale to portfolio company of General Atlantic
- Essex Bay Capital in its platform acquisition of Munetrix, LLC, a leading GovTech software company
- Everbridge (Nasdaq) in acquisitions of NC4 and of xMatters, leading cyber-security businesses
- MilliporeSigma (Merck KGaA’s U.S. life science business) in acquisition of Grzybowski Scientific Inventions, developer of revolutionary chemistry software product
- MKS Instruments (Nasdaq-listed instruments and process controls business) in acquisitions of division of Brooks Automation (Nasdaq) and of Precisive, LLC
- Navitas Semiconductor (Nasdaq) in acquisition of GeniSiC Semiconductor, a pioneer in silicon carbide technology
- Nationally recognized academic institution and faculty inventors in sale of incubated company to European-owned life science business
- Northeast Wholesale (leading distributor of fasteners, tools and other building products) in sale to portfolio company of Platinum Equity
- Novanta (Nasdaq-listed photonics and motion controls business) in acquisition of Imaging Solutions Group
- Panera (portfolio company of JAB Holdings) in multiple acquisitions
- Pegasystems (Nasdaq-listed process automation software business) in acquisitions of a data analytics businesses in U.S. and India and of a conversation analytics business in the U.S.
- Private buyer in acquisition of commercial water instruments distributor
- Public Technology Company in acquisition of four businesses in nine months – two in the U.S., one in Spain, and one in Switzerland
- Sensormatic (leading article surveillance business, now part of Johnson Controls) in acquisitions of video surveillance business and automatic theft detection businesses
- Talent Burst (leading IT and life science staffing company) in acquisition of IBA Software Technologies
- Tech Target (Nasdaq) in acquisitions of The Enterprise Strategy Group and Xtelligent Healthcare Media, leading IT market research and analytics firms
- Tyco (now Johnson Controls) in divestiture of automotive tubing business and in divestiture of marine actuator business
- UFP Technologies, Inc. (Nasdaq) – in acquisition of Contech Medical, a global leader in the manufacture of class III medical device packaging, and of DAS Medical, a leading maker of surgical equipment covers, robotic draping systems, and fluid control pouches.
Tom is a recognized leader in the area legal community, having served as president of the Northeast Chapter of the Association of Corporate Counsel (“ACC Northeast”), the area’s in-house counsel bar association, and as president of Boston University School of Law’s alumni organization. He is the recipient of ACC Northeast’s corporate counsel excellence award and served as a faculty member at Boston University School of Law for many years, teaching U.S. transactional law to foreign lawyers and law grads from Africa, Asia, Europe, Latin America, and the Middle East. Tom is a graduate of Milton Academy, Middlebury College (B.A.), and Boston University School of Law (J.D., cum laude).