We represent public companies, private companies and their founder-owners, and private equity firms and their portfolio companies in mergers, acquisitions, and sales of businesses. Each of our M&A lawyers has practiced for more than 25 years and has regularly represented both buyers and sellers. As a result, we have extensive experience solving the challenges that can emerge in deals and understand the perspectives, motivations and interests of parties on all sides of the transaction, enabling us to reduce deal friction and to deliver high quality legal services that support a collaborative and successful process designed to achieve a timely and efficient closing.
Representative Clients and Engagements
Our lawyers have represented a variety of leading businesses in important transactions, including:
- Public Company Buyers/Sellers
- Aspen Technology (Nasdaq): in multiple acquisitions of software and services companies;
- ATNI (Nasdaq): Multiple transactions including the acquisition of a telecommunications tower operator, restructuring of a joint venture, and two corporate venture investments;
- Cabot Corporation (NYSE): in $64 Million acquisition of leading North American producer of black masterbatches and compounds;
- Circor International (NYSE): in sale of $30 Million revenue Sagebrush subsidiary to existing management;
- Fairchild Semiconductor (Nasdaq; prior to acquisition by ON Semiconductor): multiple add-on acquisitions, as well as dispositions of manufacturing assets, business lines and R&D capabilities and talent, in the U.S., Korea, China, Taiwan and Europe.
- MilliporeSigma (U.S. subsidiary of Merck KGaA (ETR)): in acquisition of Grzybowski Scientific Inventions, developer of a revolutionary algorithm-based tool which expedites chemical reaction calculations;
- MKS Instruments (Nasdaq): national counsel for sub-$100 Million deals, including $87 Million purchase of division of Brooks Automation and $13 Million acquisition of Precisive, LLC;
- Novanta Corporation (Nasdaq): acquisition of Imaging Solutions Group;
- Public Tech Company: in acquisition of two businesses – one in the U.S and one in India;
- Public Tech Company: acquisition of four businesses in nine months – two in the U.S., one in Spain, and one in Switzerland.
- Tyco International (NYSE; prior to acquisition by Johnson Controls): in acquisition of two +$80 Million automatic theft detection businesses, acquisition of video surveillance business, and divestiture of automotive tubing business and of marine actuator business.
- Private Equity Buyers/Investors
- ADT (Apollo Global portfolio company): in six add-on acquisitions in 14 months;
- Alegeus Technologies (Lightyear Capital portfolio company): in sale of subsidiary to Maestro Healthcare Technology;
- Artemis Capital: in sale of investment in industrial tech company;
- Au Bon Pain and Panera (JAB Holdings portfolio companies): in multiple acquisitions;
- CSC ServiceWorks (Pamplona Capital portfolio company): in multiple add-on acquisitions; and
L Catterton: in multiple growth capital investments.
- Sellers to Private Equity Firms/Portfolio Companies
- Apps Associates: sale of a majority interest in a global IT services company with operations in the US, Germany and India to late-stage PE investor;
- Compendia (provider of homeowner web portals and manuals): sale to portfolio company of CIP Capital;
- Energy Initiatives Group (leading energy services consulting firm): sale to portfolio company of General Atlantic; and
Northeast Wholesale (leading distributor of building products): sale to portfolio company of Platinum Equity.
- Additional Private Company Deals
- Cegment (automated college payment calculator business): in sale to CampusLogic.
- CS Operations: Sale of assets of an operating company to a super-regional consolidator in a series of transactions.
- D2 Emerge (acquisition vehicle): in acquisition of Software Development (SD) Times from BZ Media.
- DSM Metal Fabrication (acquisition vehicle): in acquisition of specialty sheet metal fabrication services business.
- Envia Systems (battery technology company): in sale to Chinese investment group (buyout of PE firms and retention of management).
- Treq Labs (software technology business): in sale to Sonus Networks (Nasdaq).
- Wave 6 (acoustic modeling software company): in sale to Dassault Systemes.
- 3D printing company: in sale to 3D Systems, Inc. (NYSE).