Stephen J. Doyle
Founder and Head of Technology and International Practice
Steve is an accomplished lawyer and businessman who has practiced law for 30 years. He has been a partner in leading law firms, general counsel and international counsel to public and private companies, and COO, chief strategy officer, and member of executive teams at public companies and companies he founded. His international experience includes living and working overseas, and transactional work throughout Eastern and Western Europe, China and East Asia, Latin America and the Middle East. Steve has also been recognized as a Super Lawyer in the 2021 edition of Massachusetts Super Lawyers magazine.
Steve represents (1) emerging companies throughout their lifecycle, with a particular emphasis on startup operations, formation, capital raises, and complex commercial transactions, (2) private and public companies in M&A transactions on both buy and sell side, (3) technology companies in joint ventures, complex licensing, and business transactions, and (4) domestic and non-US companies in cross-border transactions, financing and acquisitions.
Examples of transactions and legal matters that Steve has negotiated and led include:
- Abode Systems (Home Security Systems) – international distribution agreements, Asian sourcing agreements
- Adext (Silicon Valley Digital Marketing company) – Initial Series Seed investment and second round capital raise
- Amuse Technologies (Technology for Museums and Cultural Institutions) – formation, initial capital raise, Series B
- Aspen Technology (Nasdaq Technology for process industries) –acquisitions of software and services companies in the US and Europe; alliances with multinational technology and service companies, Accenture, SAP, IBM; $100 million PIPE with Advent International
- Breville (Australian public company) –acquisition of assets of Baratza LLC, a consumer products manufacturer
- Cegment, Inc. (Education tech) – sale of businesses to CampusLogic, Inc. and Successly, Inc.
- Cloud to Street (Flood mapping application used by UN, World Bank, Asian Development Bank, etc.) – Initial capital raises through issuances of SAFEs
- Essex Bay Capital – in platform acquisitions of Munetrix, LLC (leading GovTech software co)
- FusionIQ (Leading fintech company) – multiple capital raises; licensing and alliance agreements with partners and customers
- GN2.0-Nidus (Medical platform for expert opinions) – formation, capital raises, alliance agreements
- GTY Technology (Nasdaq Government Tech) – reorganization in Massachusetts from Cayman Islands; special counsel for $642 million public offering; Massachusetts counsel for SEC opinions and corporate compliance
- JPAnalytics (Undersea Communications Technology) – SBIR contract with the US Navy; alliance agreements with multinational DoD contractors
- MilliporeSigma (U.S. Life Science business of Merck KGaA) – acquisition of GSI, developer of a revolutionary algorithm-based tool which expedites chemical reaction calculations
- German Venture Capital Group – investment and restructuring of US digital logistic platform
- Omni Remotes (Singapore company; Hong Kong Exchange) – technology supply agreement with multinational provider of entertainment equipment
- Tego (Asset Management Technology) – supply agreement with Airbus SAS for MRO solution; multiple capital raises
- Treq Labs (Silicon Valley communications technology) – acquisition by Sonus Networks (NASDAQ)
- UFP Technologies (Nasdaq) – acquisition of Advant Medical
- Trellis LLC (Fintech for private securities investment) – sale and merger transaction; capital raise
- Treq Labs – in sale to Sonus Networks (Nasdaq);
- URM Group (AI Supply Chain optimization technology) – international corporate structuring; alliance and licensing agreements
- Verde Farms (Leading supplier of Grass-fed Beef) – Series A and Series B capital raises
- Wakelet (UK Online content curation, Edtech) – multiple capital raises; alliances with Microsoft and other leading technology companies
- Wave 6 (acoustic modeling software company) – sale to Dassault Systémes
- Wyss Center for Bio and Neuro Engineering (Swiss bio research center) – multiple technology licensing and development agreements and alliances
- Zenlabs Energy (leading developer of batteries for e-vehicles) – multiple capital raises and corporate structuring
- Corporate Formation, organizational documentation, stock plans and financings for numerous companies including startups in medical, technology, social media, and sustainability markets. Representation of companies from many countries including the US, Germany, France, the UK, Singapore and Switzerland.
Steve is a graduate of Georgetown University and the University of Denver, with both JD and MBA degrees. He is the author of various articles on international law, a contributing author to The Law of Transnational Business Transactions, (2016-2021 ed.) published by Thompson Reuters, and an adjunct professor of international transactions at Boston University School of Law. He is admitted to the state and federal bars in Massachusetts and Colorado and the Court of International Trade.